NATURE AND SCOPE
This is a clerical position that reports directly to theAdministrative Deputy Chief and Fire Marshal. The administrative assistant will provide general office support and assist in basic functionswithin the administrative offices.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Greets and directs visitors to appropriate department personnel.
- Responsible for answering incoming calls using a telephone console, screens calls, routes telephone call and telephone messages.
- Prepares District/Fire Prevention correspondence and reports as directed, using correct grammar, spelling, and composition.
- Maintains various District/Fire Prevention files.
- Receives, sorts, opens, dates, stamps and distributes incoming mail and prepares and routes outgoing mail.
- Assists in special studies, reports, proofreads data and assists in the preparation of statistical information.
- Assists in calling for service and repairs of office equipment as necessary.
- Assists in obtaining supplies for meetings and special training classes.
- Maintains District/Fire Prevention calendars, makes appointments and reservations as requested.
- Assumes responsibility, whether direct or backup for fire billing.
- Assumes responsibility for compiling and completing the annual report
- Maintains inventory of office supplies and places orders for office supplies as necessary.
- Assists, whether direct or backup to attend Board of Trustee and Board of Fire Commissioner meetings; takes and prepares minutes for distribution as necessary.
- The Administrative Assistant may be an F.O.I.A. (Freedom Of Information Act) designee and may be responsible for limited or certain public records of the District. Requests for reports public records may be handled by him/her, in accordance with District policy and State of Illinois Freedom of Information Act.
- Performs additional assignments as assigned by the Fire Chief and Deputy Chiefs and Fire Marshal.
- Scheduling of inspection for the Fire Prevention Bureau.
- Assist in quality assurance of inspection records.
- Assists in developing training programs (PowerPoint Presentations).
- Data entry
- Assists Fire Marshal with monthly billing/reports in his absence
- Review and entry of Annual System Reports
- Scan and index District/Fire Prevention documents
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITY & SKILLS
- Must possess a high school diploma or G.E.D. Certificate.
- Ability to type accurately
- Ability to enter computer data accurately.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, knowledge of business English, spelling and business arithmetic. (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
- Ability to maintain clerical records and to prepare reports from such records.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Ability to learn basic work procedures in a reasonable length of time.
- Ability to establish and maintain satisfactory working relationships with other employees and the public.
- Ability to prioritize and take the initiative to accommodate workflow.
- Ability to handle a stressful situation
- Adaptability – able to quickly and effectively adjust approach to changing circumstances and new priorities.
- Ability to successfully interact with diverse individuals.
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE & TRAINING
- One year of experience in office clerical practices and procedures
- Experiencedin customer service.
- General knowledge of Fire/EMS Services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The work is generally performed in an office environment. Typically, the employee may sit comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking, standing, stooping, carrying of light items such as papers, books, files.